Friday, November 8, 2013

in my studio: packaging essentials



On starting my little Etsy shop, I was surprised by how much I enjoy packaging up my orders. It's so much fun to experiment with different tools and materials! My aim in this is to keep it simple and creative, making sure to package with love both for my customers and for the environment! 
It's been a bit of a process to figure out how best to do this, but I am really happy with where I've ended up. I thought today I would share a few of the items that have become essential to this process. 

1. patterned washi tape. 
WOW! ok, I know a lot of people have been in on the washi tape trend for some time now, and I've just got to say I understand why. Beautifully patterned tape has been a really great way to add a little bit of something special to my envelopes and tags, without having to use too many extra materials. Plus, with so many colours and patterns to choose from, it's so easy to make it fit with the overall look and style of my shop!

2. brown paper. 
I am a sucker for brown paper. My tags and wrapping are all done on brown paper. I use recycled envelopes and card whenever I can!

3. twine.
For anything that's got a hang tag, and sometimes just to add a little bow to something, I use ends from a ball of twine I've got left over from a previous project. I love that I've found a use for something in my craft stash! 

4. stamps stamps stamps.
Honestly, some of the best money I ever spent was on my little alphabet stamp set. I use it to stamp thank-you's, and to add names to gift wrapped items. I think it adds the perfect handmade touch that ties in the look I've created. Stamps allow me to save on my paper consumption as I can stamp right onto the packaging. Also, it's great because I can change words (or languages!) whenever I feel like it.
I also love my custom business stamp from Paper Sushi. I've mentioned it before, but it really has been essential to the setting up of my shop.

5. paper clips.
To add my business cards and tags to packaging, I often use little coloured paper clips. Again, this is a really simple thing that I hope adds a little touch of care to each item, while remaining minimalistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment