Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Spring Book Report



Over the past few months I've managed to squeeze in quite a bit of reading time, between the cracks of my days and evenings. I've been sharing (most of) the books I'm working my way through over on Instagram under the hashtag #whatruthisreading2017 but I don't tend to share much of what I thought of a book, and a few of the books in those pictures ended up being swapped out for others. 

I'm still working on my goal of reading one fiction and one non-fiction book per month, with an end total of 24 books for this year, and that has been going really well. A few of these have been picks for my book club and I've enjoyed stretching myself and picking up a few titles I might not have otherwise gotten to. So without any more chatter, here's my Spring book report! 

Let's start with the books from that list:

Anne of Green Gables // LM Montgomery
Read this while in Canada this March and it was lovely. Perfect for Spring and perfect for reading while at home. 

As Always Julia // Julia Child & Avis DeVoto
I did enjoy this but I ended up skimming through parts of it. While interesting, it was just very very long and I slogged my way through the second half. I would recommend it if you enjoyed My Life in France but keep in mind that it's a collection of letters and not a memoir...

Lab Girl // Hope Jahren
LOVED this. Easily the best book I've read this year so far.

The Magic of Motherhood // Ashlee Gadd (Coffee & Crumbs)
I really enjoyed this one as well. It's a collection of essays on motherhood written by different women and I found a lot to relate to in these pages.



And here are a few other titles that I managed to read:

A Monster Calls // Patrick Ness
This is YA short fiction and it totally sucked me in. Read it all in one night.

Rebecca // Daphine Du Maurier
Read this for my book club and (although I suggested it) I was a bit skeptical at first. It took me a bit of time to get into it but then I was hooked. It made for a great discussion!

Half of A Yellow Sun // Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie
This one is this month's book club pick and I've not actually finished it yet. Though it's well written I'm struggling a bit, as it's quite heavy reading. I'm definitely learning a ton about Nigerian history that I wasn't aware of before.

At Home in the World // Tsh Oxenreider
Really loved this one. It was perfect summer reading and just a good story. I really related to parts of Tsh's spiritual journey and her thoughts on home as she travelled around the world with her family and even found myself tearing up in a few spots. I did the audio version, which is read by the author, and I'd recommend that for sure.


Got some books currently on my nightstand/coffee table/e reader that I'm super excited about getting to over the next few months. I'll be sure to share a little list soon. What are you guys reading this summer? 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list! I am also aiming to read about 25 books this year but I am getting behind. I have been stuck on a couple of books lately. I really want to check out Lab Girl by Hope Jahren from your list and listen to At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete