Sunday, August 9, 2015

four years


I shared this photo this past week on Instagram, but I wanted to share it again here along with a few expanded thoughts. This past week we celebrated 4 years of marriage. In some ways, an anniversary is just a day. Just one moment on the calendar that we choose to let stand in as a reminder for all the others that pass by without much notice. But sometimes we need that chance to step back and actually take notice. 

Our path has not always been easy and we have walked through much difficulty and pain. After one year of marriage, we packed up and moved across the world, spending most of year two and three re-building a home. Year four, this past year, has brought some of the deepest moments of sorrow we have yet walked through together. 

But there is also so much good. And the truth is that I wake up every morning with a heart full of thankfulness that I have found someone who makes me feel like I belong. 

Sometimes when you're in the midst of the everyday it can be hard to keep track of the bigger picture but really it's the small things that make up a life- every day laughter and sharing cups of coffee. Cooking dinner at the end of the day. Picking each other back up after times of sorrow. I'm thankful for each of these moments and hopeful for many more good times to come. 

Waldi, I love our life together. It's the greatest gift I've been given. 

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - I completely agree that it's the small things that make up a relationship and that you have to remind yourself to see every day. I've been with my boyfriend for 13 years and what I've taken away from that most is that you choose, every day, to be happy with a person and he with you. You choose to make it work, to be kind and respectful to each other and to walk forward. People change all the time and supporting each other through difficult times is hard but really strengthens the bond you share.
    Wishing you all the best for the next four years!

    ReplyDelete